Saturday, January 26, 2008

medium, method, mortality

my life seems wrapped up in attempts to overcome, divert, manipulate or extend my medium, method and mortality. i am speaking of the art of life not the art of art. the medium being the physical world in which i am embedded. the method is the various extensions of self used in navigating the medium--my truck extends my capacity to carry and move, my knife extends the taring function of my teeth, my phone extends my ability to be present in a location in which i do not physically reside. the mortality is the temporal nature of my existence.

if i am not manipulating, negotiating or attempting to overcome my medium, method or mortality, it seems i am spending a great deal of time and energy in diverting my mind from these limitations--perhaps my consumer whoring is my diversion or at a minimum it gives me the illusion of overcoming these parameters of existence.

pondering medium, method and mortality.

No comments: