Tuesday, May 31, 2011

ha. you know a book is

good when you suddenly realize you've underlined almost every line and have a plethora of words circled and the margins begin filling up with notes!

this book is more useful for living but I recall my Debord's Spectacle text, which I read in 2005 while traveling in Europe, a gift from and with my mother-in-law* (the travel not the text), had every margin filled.

needless to say, I am no good with library books and don't know yet if I could adjust to a kindle. I remember things by their physical locations within the text, even the size, weight and shape influence my memory. my memory, cognitive and emotional knowledge, processing, etc are definitely stored and utilized via my physical body. hmmm even my capacity to express affection needs the vehicle of my body to realize and transport my connection to another.

some experience life through the mind, vision, sound, for me it comes through the tactile.

or even how I experience love--some experience it through gifts, sex, financial security, words of kindness, which are all good and helpful. me I need that pat on the head or ruffle of hair.

I think this is why moving away from graphic design (largely developed mentally and virtually) towards a very physical art making has always felt like coming home to who I am.

well and I love reading and learning but I still need to physically interact with the text.

*perhaps i am "suppose" to say "former," but tis the only one i've ever had so i don't think i have to qualify it because everyone else does it that way. kind of like when your mom used to say, "if all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?" "yes mom..." most do. but i've never liked the herd even though i still do herd stuff--some herd patterns can't be avoided. some are actually good, keeps one from getting singled out and eaten. in this case, no one will be eaten if i don't follow the herd pattern by using stupid qualifier, "former."

No comments: