Saturday, November 01, 2008

the big picture

i know making, writing, mentoring and loving are part of who i am.
  1. MAKING allows me to discover things
    about my world and self that would
    otherwise remain submerged and unattainable;
    it brings me joy, dirt and laughter
  2. MENTORING (teaching) gets me outside of myself,
    teaches me, helps me unlearn what doesn't belong;
    it brings me delight and purpose
  3. WRITING connects me through silence to my self,
    God, the world and others; helps me remember
    who I am and am becoming and how i fit;
    it brings me faith; it reveals my wounds;
    it opens me
  4. LOVING fills my body and soul,
    it connects my fragments of being
    it gives me the desire to both give and receive;
    it strengthens me; it brings me hope.
When i neglect any of these, my life, who i am, limps. or when i get to focused on how to eat and forget to walk, i limp. To walk in my own skin and know joy, i must attend to making, writing, mentoring and loving and not overlook the details of eating but not focus on it either. And so now i must walk my path in my own skin, take steps toward eating*, and i must attend. it may take me a while to figure out how to do these things, but i will.

*eating refers to the daily details of things i need to do in order to have food, shelter and such.

No comments: